Questions Concerning Public
Financing of Campaigns
Please complete and email to Benjamin Wyatt at
Year of Public Finance Implementation: ___________________________________________________
Your Position at the Time of Implementation: ___________________________________________________
1. Why did the idea of public financing emerge when it did?
2. What was the problem which public financing was intended
to address? (Was it a long-term chronic issue or a recent
3. What would you say were the top three reasons that public
financing was implemented in your state/city?
(Please mark 1, 2, and 3 in order of importance)
4. Were there particular factors in the politics of your state/city
that facilitated the adoption of public financing?
- ___ To reduce corruption
- ___ To improve public perception of politics, politicians,
- ___ To increase equality or equal opportunity in the political
- ___ To achieve specific political/electoral goals or advantages
- ___ To achieve specific policy goals or advantages
- ___ To improve the "quality of life" or "quality
of service" of politicians
- ___ To create more competition in elections
- ___ To reduce the cost of campaigns
- ___ Other (specify)
5. Were there particular leaders who played a critical role
in the adoption of public campaign finance?
6. Keeping in mind the problems which public financing was
intended to address, by what standards would you measure the
success of this public financing measure? Are any of these
7. Were there any unintended consequences of this public campaign
8. Are any changes or additional campaign finance reforms needed?
9. Who else should I speak with about these issues?
(please include email addresses if you have them)
Proceed to Bibliography